The Forge is full and rich with history. Over the years the building has had many successful uses.
1876 – Francis J. Crump has building built for the Republican newspaper. It adjoins an existing agricultural implement building on the east side.
1876 – The building was a Cigar Store
1882 – The Republican moves into their new building at Fifth and Washington. The Democrat newspaper takes up offices/printing inside the Fourth Street building
1886 – The building is occupied by the Democrat printing offices
1890 – The Crystal Steam Laundry occupies the building
1906 – A saloon occupies the west side of the building. The east side has a hall on the second floor and a grocery on the first
1947 – Through 1970 – the Red Mens Fraternal Lodge held meetings in the building
1936 – 1959 – The building was multiple pool halls including Pop’s Pool Hall, Shultz Pool Hall and Anderson & Meyer Pool Hall
1970 – Becomes the Sportsman Inn
1980 – 1998 – Left Bank Restaurant served local residents
2000 – 2016 – Smith’s Row ran as an upscale local restaurant. The restaurant was named so after all of the tinsmiths and forge shops that used to reside on the street.
2022 – The Forge is born!